Click location to apply
Corpening Memorial YMCA (Marion, NC)
Hendersonville Family YMCA
Reuter Family YMCA (S. Asheville)
Goal of Role
Deliver our YMCA mission and goals through youth sports programs that emphasize basic skills, character development, and fair play. Our priority is building character through an enriching athletics environment. Children are challenged to grow at their own pace, embrace mistakes, and continually strive to develop a healthy mind, body and spirit!
Tasks and Activities
- Attend pre-season Coach Meeting
- Read through Handbook and Coach Y-Manual to get familiar with rules and expectations for the season
- Get familiar with the names on your roster
- All coaches are expected to follow the Sports Code of Conduct at all times
- Coach your team through weekly practices and games
- To have a heart in the interest of the kids, families, and communities our YMCA sports programming serves
- Deliver the YMCA mission and goals through weekly “Value Traits”
- Empower our young athletes through positive and encouraging coaching
- To be a voice and advocate for the YMCA in our community
- Know and enforce the rules and philosophy and by encouraging cooperative play and ensuring equal playing time
- In the event of a disagreement we ask that you avoid approaching another volunteer, child, or spectator. It is our volunteer’s responsibility to voice concerns to staff. It is our staff’s responsibility to address the concern.
- Whether it’s a practice or a game, punctuality is critical in making sure all participants and volunteers have a great season
- Have fun!
Length of commitment
One Season (8-11 Weeks)
15-20 Hours a Month
At specified times: Practices are held once a week during the evenings and games are played on Saturdays.
YMCA Coach Shirt (provided) and Athletic Wear/Shoes
Training and other requirements
Criminal Background Check provided upon application
Child Abuse Prevention training
Must complete volunteer responsibilities during which children are present under the supervision of a YMCA staff person